RSS

Not Panicking

28 May

I am not panicking. Nope, Not at all.

But I am beginning to wonder what I was thinking when I decided to work full-time and plan my cross-continent relocation at the same time. There is a lot to do and I am honestly very tired – most (if not all) of the time!

On the work front, I’m working on a new technical project, probably the most technical project of my career and I don’t like technical projects. I am aware of the need to push my boundaries (once in a while) and I love delivering value so I’m going to give it my best. (My boss thinks it’s just early-days-blues which I typically always have, he may be right but he may also be wrong).

Before I get into the school bit, I’ve had the discussion with my boss today (between last paragraph and this – to be precise because I’m a master of procrastination when it has to do with things I really don’t wanna talk about). I decided to go with Booth. The offer was great in a lot of ways but I think I will regret not going to school more than I will regret leaving my career behind. Also I think the exposure from school will be great for me regardless of the career path that I chose and even greater for me as a consultant. But, I am not the annoyingly single-minded child I once was, I did leave the door open to come back after school which was accepted.

I have not finalized my apartment, in fact I have not even gotten off the wait-list. I’ve seen two apartments that were almost perfect but the leases begin wayy earlier than I plan to be in Chicago. So, I’m still waiting. I have no furniture for my apartment, no clothes for school (trust me on this, my current clothes are not gonna cut it in Chicago – weather & image issues), no I-20 (have not even filled the financial aid submission thingy) and no idea when I’m going to get them.

I also may not be going for random walk, not because I did not get placed on a trip but because I cannot get a CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) insurance simply because I am not resident in the US at this point. I need the insurance because I’m going to be putting about $3K down for the trip before I even have a chance to apply for the visa. While I am 75% certain I will get it, there is still a 25% chance I will not which will mean my money goes down the drain in the event that I do not get the visa. I’ve been informed of countries that have no visa requirement for US study visa holders but the countries are not even in my top ten choices for random walk. I guess I’m going to meet my classmates in Chicago 🙂

But I’m not bothered or panicked because everything will work itself out as it usually does. I do, however, have a LOT to do and very little time to do it. I have to prepare for the project, performance reviews are coming up. I have to start processing my visa and do a bit of shopping. Most importantly, I need to spend time with my folks before I leave. There are roughly 100 days to resumption and even less to leave my homeland. I hope it will be enough.

I’ll have a post about financing my MBA soon, I started it about a week ago, I’ll finish it one day 🙂

Advertisements
 
8 Comments

Posted by on May 28, 2015 in School preparation

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Not Panicking

  1. topdogmba

    May 28, 2015 at 6:25 pm

    Hehe. This all sounds (and feels) very familiar to my life – except the working part; I’m enjoying “funemployment” at the moment!

    To be honest though, I still have tons to do and for my whole family (and dog!) too so just try to relax, keep a checklist and realise you’re definitely not alone 😉

    I’ll also be meeting my classmates for the first time at orientation. There’s plenty of time and two years to get to know each other (and spend a small fortune on extra-curricular activities!) so not worth stressing about.

    Best of luck with your planning. Your work project will seem a million miles away once you arrive in Chicago!!

     
    • NaijaMBAgal

      May 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

      Good to hear I’m not the only one.

      I have a checklist, I’m just unhappy about the fact that it is growing rather than reducing. Booth has no cohort system, that’s why I wanted to go for random walk but you’re right, there’ll be other opportunities to spend the money 🙂

       
  2. gidimbagirl

    May 29, 2015 at 3:27 am

    hmmmm, why exactly have you not started the visa process???? you got in ages ago! and you know that naij embassy can be long. I’d recommend you put the $$ for random walk. bc of the non-cohort system at booth, RW is were a lot of ppl form those bonds other schools form in the core sections…unless of course that’s not really one of your priorities.

    the housing situation will work itself out. i think sometimes the folks that wait longer get better deals because it becomes more of a buyers market…but then of course there’s the risk.

    Glad you’re coming to booth. When you’re settled i can get u included in the little community of african mba’s that has developed over the last month or so

     
    • NaijaMBAgal

      May 29, 2015 at 11:54 am

      Visa is dependent on financials being sorted which they are not mostly due to Booth. The application process is not even open yet so I have to wait.

      RW is great but I don’t trust the embassy to give me visa. Checked through their site and the requirements for Nigerians is more than any country I ever applied to including the US. I just dont want to pay for the trip & not get the visa, that would really suck, I’d lose the money & the objective of the trip will not be met hence my hesitation to pay.

      I’ll let you know once I get into Chicago 🙂

       
  3. Asanas and an MBA

    May 29, 2015 at 5:03 am

    Topdog made some great points. I didn’t meet my roommate or any classmates until I arrived in the fall, and it wasn’t a big deal! I also worked up until two days before school started. Although I recommend you give yourself at least a week, it is still possible! Fall orientation is busy busy, and you want to come into it already moved in and rested.

    I’m so excited for you!

     
    • NaijaMBAgal

      May 29, 2015 at 11:57 am

      Thanks. I’ll be getting off a week before school, earlier if I can negotiate it.

      Great to hear it isn’t a big deal from someone that has already done the same thing.

       
  4. agirlsmba

    May 30, 2015 at 2:12 pm

    Yay! I’m happy you decided to go to Booth!!! 🙂 I’m sure everything will work out. Good luck! Looking forward to the MBA financing post (since that also was one of the reasons why I decided to wait this year).

     
  5. Vandana

    July 29, 2015 at 6:50 pm

    I totally know what you mean! The month before flying out to school is the most hectic…but definitely try and get your finances and the visa sorted out ASAP – you will feel much more at ease once that’s done! I’m so excited for you…good luck! And feel free to reach out any time you want to chat!

     

Add your voice

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: